It’s been three years since the tragedy at Grenfell, but we still have unsafe cladding on private and housing association tower blocks in Colindale, Hendon and across Barnet.
It is not acceptable for people to be living in unsafe homes – action is needed now.
@BarnetLabour are committed to working with residents to push the Tory Council and Government to take action.
The safety and well-being of all our residents should be the first priority of all in positions of power.
Tenants and leaseholders should not have to foot the bill for works through their rent or service charges.
Leaseholders must be able to re-mortgage and obtain insurance.
The Government must listen to residents and #EndOurCladdingScandal now.
We the undersigned petition the Government to take urgent, national action to end our cladding scandal by agreeing the following 10 Steps:
- The government must lead an urgent national effort to remove all dangerous cladding from buildings by June 2022.
- The Building Safety Fund must cover all buildings, regardless of height, and a range of internal and external fire safety defects, not just cladding.
- The government should provide the money up front and then seek to recover it from any responsible parties or via a temporary levy on development.
- Social housing providers must have full and equal access to the fund.
- The government must compel building owners or managers to be honest with residents about fire safety defects.
- The government should cover the cost of interim safety measures.
- The government should act as an insurer of last resort and underwrite insurance where premiums have soared.
- A fairer, faster process is needed to replace the EWS form and funding is necessary to ensure all buildings requiring a form are surveyed within 12 months.
- Mental health support must be offered to affected residents.
- Protecting residents from historic and future costs must be a key commitment of new building safety legislation.