We, the undersigned, oppose new proposals to overhaul the planning process that have been published by the Government (‘Planning for the Future’).
If this scheme goes ahead it will lead to massive overdevelopment in our area without proper local oversight, democracy or accountability. With Government proposals to dilute protections to Green Belt and Metropolitan Open Land in the London Plan it represents an attack on the suburbs and green spaces.
We specifically oppose the Government allowing:
– fewer affordable homes from developer contributions with the current exemption on developments under 10 homes to be extended temporarily to developments under 40 or 50 homes
– automatic planning permission for all development in designated ‘growth’ areas if plans meet certain criteria
– planning permission granted in principle for all development in designated ‘renewal’ areas, subject only to basic checks
– local communities to be sidelined and only able to input on early iterations of plans
We also oppose new laws laid before Parliament (‘New laws to extend homes upwards and revitalise town centres’) which will come into effect in September that will:
– allow people to add 2 additional storeys to their home without planning permission
– allow developers to demolish and rebuild unused buildings as new homes or shops and offices without full planning permission
We petition Barnet Council to vociferously and publicly oppose these proposals and lobby Government to drop these plans.