Leader of the Labour Group, Cllr Alison Moore said: "We’re delighted that the Times Series have started their own campaign to raise awareness about the need to support our town centres and traders - many of whom are struggling in this current economic climate and as a result of disastrous parking policies introduced by the Barnet Conservatives.
"Other councils are implementing a free parking period to help their traders and town centres because it makes sense for everyone – shoppers, businesses and the council – why won’t Barnet?"
Labour's Environment Spokesperson, Cllr Alan Schneiderman said: "Local businesses and traders in our town centres have been calling for action on parking to help them for some time – the Times Series is absolutely right to raise this issue.
"We hope as many people as possible go online and support the Times Series campaign and also sign our new petition – if we get 7,000 signatures we can force a Full Council debate on the issue."
1. To support the Times Series campaign see: http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/11706903.Times_Series_campaign__park_the_charge_and_give_us_30_minutes__free/
2. To sign Labour’s petition for at least 30 minutes free parking see:
3. Details of Labour’s parking survey: http://www.labour4barnet.com/campaigns/parking-charges-survey/
4. Details of Labour’s manifesto pledge on 30 minutes free parking:
5. Details of Labour’s motion to November Environment Committee: http://betterbarnet.nationbuilder.com/labour_group_proposes_a_fairer_parking_policy_for_barnet
For further details please contact:
Cllr Alan Schneiderman: firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the Barnet Labour Group: 020 8359 2568