Labour's Jess Brayne has won the Underhill council seat by-election with 2,314 votes and a majority of 335, securing over 41% of the vote.
The turnout was 49.5%.
The results were:
Jessica Brayne (Labour) - 2314
Lesley Evans (Cons) - 1979
Phil Fletcher (Green) - 387
Duncan MacDonald (LD) - 452
Barry Ryan (UKIP) – 459
Jess, who is employed as an Engagement Officer at Equality Challenge Unit, a charity that supports the higher education sector to advance equality and diversity for staff and students, has pledged to focus her work as a local councillor on:
- Supporting and working with community groups on local issues including campaigning for environment improvements and against cuts to public services.
- Fighting for more affordable housing and to ensure that new developments consider and meet the needs of residents.
- Ensuring that all residents of the Dollis Valley estate are treated fairly as the new estate is developed.
- Ensuring good value for the council tax payer from council services - particularly contracted out services.
- Protecting the greenbelt.
- Making Underhill safer - working with our Safer Neighbourhood Team to cut crime, reduce anti-social behaviour and make sure elderly people feel secure wherever they live in Underhill.
- Ensuring there are suitable facilities for young people in Underhill.
- Addressing the many parking issues and concerns residents have.
Jess said: "I'm honoured to have have been elected to serve the residents of Underhill as their councillor. I would like to thank everyone who voted for me, and I promise to represent all residents however they voted.
“I look forward to working with the local community and my two Labour co-councillors - Paul Edwards and Tim Roberts - to get the improvements that Underhill needs."
Leader of the Barnet Labour Group, Cllr Barry Rawlings said: "I'm delighted to welcome Jess to the Barnet Labour Group, and know that she will be a hardworking local councillor for the residents of Underhill ward.
"Today's result in Underhill shows that residents here remain unconvinced by the way the Tories are running Barnet council."
1. For more information about the Underhill by-election see:
For more information contact:
Cllr Barry Rawlings: email@example.com
To contact the Barnet Labour Group: 020 8359 2568